Petersfield Photographic Society is affiliated to the Southern Counties Photographic Federation and participates in the SCPF annual league competition for prints and projected digital images (PDIs). All the current year’s competitions are listed in the programme. At the end of the season, the club selection committee chooses sixteen ‘seal’ images (eight prints and eight PDIs) to compete in the SCPF league. The images will then be judged against entries from up to six competing clubs in the same league as Petersfield. The highest-scoring club will move up a division whilst the lowest-scoring moves down.
The selection committee also selects six prints and eight digital images from seal winners to represent the club in the annual SCPF exhibition.
For club competitions, there are two classes: advanced and standard. Seals are awarded for 8½ marks or more out of a maximum 10. At the end of the season, club trophies are awarded to the member with the highest total marks of the three competitions for each category. In the event of a tie, there is a ‘count-back’ using the highest marks attained for each print/PDI.
Members’ PDIs/prints scoring less than 8½ marks may only be re-entered once more in club competitions.
No PDIs/prints which have gained 8½ marks or more (or equivalent in other clubs) may be re-entered into any further advanced or standard class competitions.
PDIs/prints which have previously been accepted for SCPF competitions/exhibitions are ineligible for any further SCPF competitions/exhibitions.
- The winner in the standard PDI/print class will automatically go up into the appropriate advanced class in the next season.
- The committee will then decide if it is necessary to invite runners-up to go into the advanced class. The person obtaining the lowest average score per PDI/print in the advanced class will compete in the standard class in the following season.
- The committee reserves the right to make adjustments to this system where and when they deem it necessary, but with sufficient notice to the membership.
- PDIs and prints which have been entered in club competitions may also be used in other specialised competitions and vice versa.
- The same image may not be used as a print and PDI in the same season in the club competitions.
- All PDIs and prints which gain seals throughout the season will be considered for the selection of prints and PDIs going forward to the SCPF competitions or exhibition in the following season.
All PDIs and prints for competitions should be submitted to the competition secretary at the meeting prior to the competition and not later than the prior Saturday.
Prints must be the work of the author but may be produced from home or trade-processed negatives, slides or digital images. Each print should be mounted with the title and author’s name on the back only. Minimum print size is 7×5 inches whilst the mount size must not exceed 50×40 cm. For set subjects, the maximum print size is A4.
Images produced digitally (manipulated, composited) are admissible. In accordance with PAGB rules, all source images used in these works must be the original photography of the owner.
Digital images must be submitted as follows:
- Size: maximum width 1600px and maximum height 1200px
- File type: JPEG–highest quality
- File naming convention: authorname_image title.jpg
- Colour space: sRGB
PDIs may be submitted on CD/DVD or by email to the PDI competition secretary.